Friday, September 16, 2005

From Texas to Michigan
September 16, 2005

Friends:

I left early in this morning to head to Detroit, where I am a featured storyteller at the Michigan Storytelling Festival. Eliana, my five year old, who normally doesn't have a problem with my traveling, was very upset to see me go. I assured her that I would return on Sunday but she didn't want to let go of me. I wrote my cell phone down on an index card and gave it to her, saying, "You can call me anytime you need to, baby." It was hard not to cry when I left.

Exhausted, I slept the entire flight and was awakened by the captain informing us that we were preparing for landing. As soon as I arrived, Yvonne Healy, my hostess and storyteller extraordinaire, was there to greet me. She shuttled me to my hotel and checked in. I rejoiced when I saw my bed -- sleeping in a bed (I am on the floor at home now) is a welcome luxury. We then had a delicious lunch at Sweet Lorraine's.

Yvonne had to pick up another teller at the airport and I decided to explore the mall, located directly next door to the hotel. While there, I found a Chico's store. When I mentioned to the store clerk that I was from the New Orleans area, she told everyone in the store. They all crowded around to hear my story of my family's experience with Katrina. Then everyone cried and hugged me and told me that they are praying for everyone affected by the hurricane. It's amazing to feel everyone's compassion and concern.

After resting in my comfy bed, it was time to head to the auditorium for the evening concert. I shared the stage with John Spellman and Willy Claflin, both amazing tellers. I went first, telling Louisiana stories (The Cajun Cornbread Boy, Brer Rabbit and the Peanut Patch, and The Fifolet). It was a warm audience and I could feel their enthusiasm. John went next telling several funny tales including "The Pea and the Cessprin," a spoonerism tale. Willie wowed me with his singing and guitar playing and his hilarious Maynard Moose. It was a fantastic concert.

Following the concert, Barbara Schutzgruber, another incredible teller who specializes in string stories, took John and I to dinner at Erma and Max's. When I returned to my hotel, I called Soleil, who went to a friend's house to hang out. Antonio actually let her go to a friend's house to chill out with both boy and girl friends. I was surprised. Soleil gave me a play by play run down of the evening. I'm so glad we have the kind of relationship where she shares her life with me.

Yesterday, I received a call Lin Oliver, Executive Director of the Society of Children's Book Writer's and Illustrators organization in Los Angeles. Lin informed me that I was being awarded the Amber Brown grant. The funds from the grant will be used to present a storytelling program in four Houston area schools with displaced students from Hurricane Katrina. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Mom is home for the weekend and will be flying back to Dallas when I am returning home. She misses the kids but they have been doing surprisingly well without her.

Every day holds a new blessing and I thank God for taking such good care of my family.

Until next time...


1 Comments:

Blogger Linda Joy Singleton said...

Dianne,

Congrats on the SCBWI grant! That is SO great! Some lucky kids are going to love hearing your storytelling.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home