Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Running Around Like Crazy
Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Friends:

Hurricane Katrina is one of the most life-changing experiences I have ever had. When we recover, I will count my blessings every day.

I am blogging less frequently now because of all the daily errands we have to run. I am also severely lacking in sleep (less than my usual 4 hours for those of you who know me well). Last night, Mom and I waited up for the guys to return from New Orleans. They came in about 2:30 a.m. and, after viewing pictures of our property damage and hearing the tale of their ordeal in person, I was just so wired that I stayed up and didn't sleep.

Yesterday, Labor Day, was spent at the medical clinic. We are all without doctors and some of us needed medication and medical care. Everyone at the clinic was nice and gracious but because of the sheer numbers being served, we had a lot of waiting to do. All the doctors, nurses, nurse's aids, pharmacists, and administrative staff were so kind to us. They provided the kids with snacks, drinks, books and toys to keep them busy as we waited. We were also welcome to take whatever we needed.

The doctor I saw, Dr. Maya Patel, is an internist. I was wheezing with asthma (my asthma, allergies, and eczema have gone crazy in the past week - I wonder why!) and she issued all the prescriptions I needed. In addition, I received a steroid shot to help my asthma and allergies. The kids all received medical care and prescriptions as well.

We rushed home to cook dinner because we had company coming - another refugee family like us. Rick Camania, his wife Remy, and his daughters, Sarah and Rachel, were coming. Rick shared the most amazing rescue story with me, which I recorded and will be writing into a story in the next day or so. He was one of the residents who stayed behind and was rescued from the rooftop of his home in New Orleans East.

Carrie Sue Ayvar, my good friend and a fellow storyteller from Florida, put be in touch with her brother, Allen Silverblatt. Allen delivered six boxes of clothing, toys, books, and school supplies to the kids. Again, I was so moved. Everyone's generosity has been just amazing. I cry every day becaused I am overwhelmed by people's response to our plight. Mail call every day is like manna from heaven! I can't wait to be in the position of giving again.

Today, all the kids had their first day of school. Because of the conflicting school schedules, Antonio and I had to split up. He took Eliana to school while I took Soleil. Antonio and my brother took Jourdan (7), Camrynn (6), Eliana (5), and Ashlynn (4) to their new school in our neighborhood. I had to drive Soleil (15) to her new school approximately 30 minutes away in rush hour morning traffic.

As soon as Soleil stepped into the school, she was greeted with a big friendly, "Soleil!" by the girls she had made friends with at registration. I had to stay for a reception and parents' orientation. After receiving her schedule, Soleil was whisked away to classes by her "buddy." Later that day, Soleil told me she had a blast and made many more new friends. I am so glad because the transition to this new "life" has not been easy, especially for the kids.

After the two-hour parent orientation, I decided to lunch with Eliana since I didn't get to drop her off at school. She was surprised and delighted to see me. I told the kids sitting around her a short story and they cried, "More! More!" and began feeding me story requests. One boy wanted a story about headless robots (he must have seen Robots, the animated movie recently).

When I arrived home, Antonio and the rest of the family headed for the food stamp office and filed their applications. They have to return tomorrow to pick up the debit cards (that's how they handle food stamps now - they are just like prepaid grocery cards). I have never received public assistance before so all of this is new to me. Seems like one big "hurry up and wait" game. Of course, I don't mean to complain because we are grateful for everything that comes our way!

Meanwhile, I headed to Wal-Mart to pick up necessary supplies. After Wal-Mart, I picked up the four kids from school with my mini-van. We then headed to St. Agnes to pick up Soleil. All the kids seemed excited and adjusted to the idea of a new school. I treated them to Chick-Fil-A and we shared a box of 12 nuggets between 6 people.

I then hurried home because my brother and I had to attend the open house at the school that night. I am very impressed with the school, the teachers and staff, and the students. Their school has art, music, and P.E. Needless to say, I am exhausted both physically and emotionally. Of course, I didn't mention the part where, sandwiched in between all the running around, I had to call one of my best friends, Karen Chace, for an emotional recharge.

Tension in our house is high and you can cut it with a knife. We love each other but we are not accustomed to being around each other so much. It will take some time to adjust to the situation.

So I am off to bed, friends, as more work beckons me later on...

Until next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home