Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Celebrate Reading!
Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Next year, 2006, will be my 10th year anniversary as a professional storyteller. So I wanted to celebrate and do something big. It became clear to me that I want to inspire kids to read. The more you read, the more you grow. So a few days ago, I decided I wanted to start a "Celebrate Reading!" campaign.

Then tonight, my brother asked to come over to fax a document. Being the nosy sister, I asked what he was faxing. It was a loan document for $8,550. "What's it for?" I asked my brother. It turned out that it was so that my brother could finance reading tutoring for my 7 year old nephew. If my nephew doesn't improve his reading, he faces failing second grade. $8,550 for reading tutoring!!!?

Needless to say, I was stunned. It hurts me so much that my brother has to take out a loan so that his son can learn to read. I've tried to help out when I can but my nephew needs intensive one on one tutoring, more than I can offer as his aunt. This tutoring will be an investment in his future. Reading success is crucial for academic success.

It further strengthened my resolve to make literacy my platform. But it's not just inspiring kids to read. It's about giving parents information and tools to encourage them to read to and with their children. Families reading together. That's what we need. I want to begin a national campaign or join a national campaign to build literacy in our children and families.

A parent shouldn't have to pay $8,550 for a six week course to improve his child's reading. We have to do something. I will be brainstorming ideas on how to implement my "Celebrate Reading" campaign. If you have ideas or contacts, let me know. Thank you!

Together, we can celebrate reading.

Until next time...
Dianne

1 Comments:

Blogger Thetoymakers said...

I'm behind you, girlfriend. Let me know if you need a logo, flyers or anything. Reading is very near and dear to our hearts here.

I read aloud every night for eight years to our kid and he was a reluctant reader during first and second grade. Then last summer I printed up a chart and said that if he read ten books he would get a Lego that he wanted. All of a sudden something clicked and now he is the best reader in the class. The boy just finished the fifth Harry Potter book.

Also your nephew has a lot of rights under the law. Call me and I'll talk your ear off on how you can get testing for him, pull out programs, differentiated learning, tutoring, etc etc.

Hugs,

Marilyn.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home