Wednesday, November 30, 2005

National Children's Book Week
November 18, 2005

Friends:

It's been a while since my last blog. So much has happened. I toured in Louisiana, performing in St. Martin Parish and at Freshwater Elementary during the week of November 14, 2005. It was amazing. I toured the libraries in St. Martin Parish and had an incredible time with my audiences. I shared "Fairytale Fever" with a family audience and Jump, Jiggle & Jam" with 150 Headstart students. Wow! My last audience at the Parks Branch library kept chanting "More stories! More stories!" when I was finished so of course, I had to oblige them with an encore. It was so much fun. Thank you, Laura Horn!

I have been performing at Freshwater Elementary School in Denham Springs, Louisiana every year for the past eight years. The school, the teachers, and the students hold a special place in my heart. Sharon Loyd, the art teacher who does a zillion other things besides art, coordinates the performances. She sent me an email saying, "Our grant funding was cut and we will not be able to afford you this year; however, the school has decided to do their own fundraising to bring you to Freshwater." As soon as I walked the halls of the school, students began cheering and clapping, "She's here! She's here!" I received hugs galore. The school raffled gas cards and raised enough money to bring me to the school as well as another of their favorite artists, Johnette Downing (who happens to be my best friend). I was so moved, it was hard not to cry. Afterwards, I went to dinner with some of the teachers and had the best time. Sharon Loyd, you are such a special person - I can't tell you how much you mean to me!

I was honored to be asked to participate in Tellabration! with the Houston Storytellers' Guild. They were so kind and I was delighted to perform "Anansi Shares Wisdom with the World," an audience participatory story with music and movement.

I can hardly believe that storytelling and writing is my career! It's absolutely incredible to be able to call your passion your profession. I am so fortunate. Thank you, God!

Until next time...
Dianne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home